Thursday, July 23, 2009

Game of the Year

I never would have thought I'd ever pick up a glove again (or bat), I mean, I haven't played softball since I was 13. But when I got an email yesterday afternoon from Taylor's softball coach, it was obvious that I didn't have a choice. I HAD to play whether I liked it or not -- regardless of my athletic skill.....or lack thereof.

So, last night Taylor's softball team (um, did I mention it was a FAST-PITCH softball team!?) and the moms of all the kids, played in our own version of a Pros vs. Joes game. Which was realistically more like 10-year-old-Pros vs. Middle-aged-out-of-shape Joes. We struggled with almost every aspect of the game, except our team name. We started out as the "Kid Crushers" but then affectionately turned that into the "Cannon Crushers".

It's hard to put your finger on the best part of the whole evening. Sure, it was fun to be out there playing with your daughter in a sport that they love to play, and it was emphatically hysterical seeing moms with batting helmets 6 sizes too small. But, I think the funniest part of the night was realizing how out of shape us Mom's really are. I mean, I fully support anyone that claims that Chasing Kids should be an Olympic event, but carting your kids to and from practice twice a week doesn't really stretch out your hamstrings. (And let's be honest here, I was probably the one that did the LEAST physical activity since I pretty much had a camera in my hands most of the night.) I'm sure there are other Crusher teammates that really struggled to get outta bed this morning. Our "cat-like reflexes" were more like tortoise reactions. Our feet stopped when we wanted them to, but our bodies didn't.

Lucky for us, our salary cap wasn't even close to being extinguished, so we were able to scout and draft a few "young'uns" to help us out. (Thanks Gabby, Haley and Erin -- and anyone else that stayed over from the 12u practice to play!!)


(yes, I was totally playing left field at the time I took this picture. C'mon....photographers never sleep.)





(that's me and Taylor in the bottom left-hand corner)
I can't decide on my Play of the Game yet….it's a toss-up between Audra (Kara -- the pitcher's -- mom) getting a hit off her daughter (that girl throws a mean change-up, too) or Jess (a Young'un we acquired in a trade early this spring) cranking one clear out to the fence.

I'm sure the girls enjoyed as much as us Moms did. I mean, when's the last time you got to talk smack to YOUR mom and not get in trouble for it?!? Plus, they ended up winning the game 10-8. I'm sure they'll be gloating about that for a while. At least until this bruise on my ankle from a wild pitch goes away.