Sunday, May 17, 2009

Photo Essay -- Mother's Day

I realized this morning that I never posted any pictures of my Mother's Day.

Mother's Day used to be one of the most dreaded days of the year for me. After losing my mom at the age of 15, it was a day of constant reminder of what I no longer had. It was a day that forced me to remember how her laugh sounded, what her smile looked like, and what her love felt like. And the more days that went by, the harder it seemed to keep those things fresh in my mind.

But then.......then, you have kids of your own, and as amazing as it is, the focus shifts from what you don't have, to what you do. From a day you don't get to be part of, to a day dedicated to you.

This Mother's Day was even better than year's past because it was multiplied by 2. Double the hugs, double the love, double the laughter and double the smiles.

We spent the day outside in the garden with the girls waiting for the boys to come back home. Some of my most treasured things of my mom's are the pictures that keep her memory alive. I realized I rarely allow myself to get in front of the camera -- since I'm normally behind it. So I made a conscience decision to try to get in some of them. (Even though I hate nearly every picture of myself, I'm going to do better at that. Although I think I might be the only person on the face of the planet that actually LIKES my drivers license picture. Go figure.)

Photobucket
Photobucket

I am truly blessed with the people who are in it.

No comments: