Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Kase and Aunt Pretty Girl

It's funny how life goes faster the older you get. When you're younger the days just drag on...hour by hour. But when you're older, you could swear it's only Tuesday when it's really Saturday. There's bills to pay, a career to follow, a house to clean, a yard to mow, groceries to get, friends to see....and then you factor in the kids and it goes ALL haywire....field trips to chaperone, parties to plan, practices to make, and the games that go along with it, laundry to wash, socks to match, and loads of homework. Haircuts, parent-teacher conferences and doctor's appointments.....Holy schedules, Batman!

Most of the time I'm pretty good at these things, but it never fails that the one that always gets shoved to the back is the "friends to see". Everyone gets so wrapped up in life that our visits go from every week, to twice in 6 months. Crazy.

Heather and I have been best friends since elementary school. From that point on we have been virtually inseparable. We've seen it all, done it all, been thru it all, said it all and laughed a good majority of the way. She has been my rock nearly all my life.

And even though we talk nearly everyday, we'd both tell you that we don't see each other enough. Admittingly, up until this past Sunday, I haven't seen her since Christmas. Awful, I know.

BUT! Chris and I went over to her house on Sunday for dinner (she makes killer macaroni salad) and a quick photo session with her almost-two-year-old son, Kase. Stinkin' cute....that's what this kid is. He's ornery and adorable wrapped up in one little man. He has these unbelievably long lashes and trouble-making dimples.



The entire afternoon we were there, Kase called me Aunt Pretty Girl. So, apparently he's pretty smart, too. Just kidding...kind of. "Pretty Girl's drink"...."Pretty Girl up?"...."Pretty Girl silly" I could listen to it all day long. I don't think I'm ever going to tell him my real name.

Kase is going to be a big brother, too. So, you'll be seeing more of him and his momma (and the baby!!!) around here soon!!

Interesting facts about my Best Friend Heather:

* She and I have been best friends since 3rd/4th grade. She was in 4th and I was in 3rd (even though our birthdays are less than 3 months apart). We met on the playground.

* Heather idolized Laura Ingalls. When she was asked what she wanted to be when she grew up, the answer was always "Laura Ingalls". And that's what she did, too. She has cows and cans applesauce, for crying in the mud! How much more 'Little House on the Prairie' can you get???

* She ran over my foot with her 1st car -- which we referred to as "the peanut".

* She taught me that just because you are related to someone by blood, doesn't make them family. And even if you're not related by blood, doesn't mean that they aren't.

* She loves the smell of her own upper lip.

* She named a calf after me for my 32nd birthday.

* We used to be cloggers together.

* And we used to be lifeguards and bartenders together, too.

* We used to live so close to one another that I could yell out of my bedroom window and she'd hear me.

* She has tried for the last 20+ years to convince me to write a book about my life.

* She's, undeniably, in love with Justin Timberlake. She once entered a Nabisco contest to win backstage passes to one of N'Sync's concerts in hopes that she'd meet him and persuade him into marrying her.

* She can do the wave with her belly. (Well, pre-pregnancy.)

* In her own mind, she's best friends with the stars. I can remember one time when she called me to complain that Brittany Spears didn't call her first before releasing her pregnancy news to the press.

Things are so crazy-busy for us, that Heather actually booked me for her son's 2nd birthday party. So, I'm guaranteed to see her in the next 40 days, which is a heckofalot better than 6 months.

xo,

e

2 comments:

Jennifer A Collier Photography said...

Ah, what a doll baby! Clogger....really?! :)

Unknown said...

That was just great Aunt Pretty Girl...You have such a great way with stories. You know that right words to say and I agree with Het...you need to write a book.. Remember when she broke up with that Kirby because his forhead stunk and she could not get past it??? Ahh the memories of you guys just makes me smile... Super cute pics of Kase too.