Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Trash or Treasure?

My mom (like a gazillion other people, I'm sure) always used to say that "one man's trash is another man's treasure". She was smart.

The best "trash" I ever get is when people call me and say "my [insert who ever you know here] was going to throw these out, but I thought you might like them".

Like them!? LOVE them!!!

From what I can tell, this little guy wasn't the automatic developing Polaroid. He was the type that you had to pull the paper tab to release the chemicals. The box of film is unopened or else I would give it a try...

This Polaroid film EXPIRED on May 1976....which was 5 months before I was BORN. Yes, I said born.



(I like her just because she's pink. I'm a girl. Pink is fab.)
I imagine that this camera is circa 1980s -- judging by the totally rad pink, and the fact that it says "Kids 'R Us". I think they went out of business in the 80s (maybe early 90s??). If I had any guts -- which I'm not saying I don't -- I'd develop the film that was left in it. That'd be the roll sitting next to her.




So, trash or treasure? I dunno, I don't care. I love 'em. (I am interested in knowing what that second camera was.) I think there is something nostalgic about old....stuff. Be it cameras, paintings, purses, or shoes....there's just something cool about the history that old stuff has. I wonder how many pictures these cameras took back in their day? Happy families? A birth or two? Birthdays?

What makes me laugh even more is the thought of my kids finding my cameras (OK, the memory cards) and finding 'nostalgia' in them. Granted, that is if they can find an old school card reader and laptop to view them with.

xo,
-e-

No comments: