Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I didn't even see it coming.

It just hit me--WHAM!--just like that with no head's up. No warning.

I knew this day would get here eventually, but I didn't expect it to be here this fast. I mean, shouldn't they send you some sort of paper warning you that it's coming? Even the government sends you tax forms.

Today, I officially became the mom of a teenager. Pick me up of the floor.

Today, my baby turned 13.

Just yesterday she had grown out of kids' shoes and into the women's section. And I could've sworn it was only last month that she was a preschooler drawing me pictures of things I couldn't recognize....or was the cute little thing with fat rolls that would fall asleep on my chest...or was the 3-year-old whose dimples would throw a fit for princess snacks at the grocery store.

And now....

Now she is this young, independent woman. She no longer needs me to help her up on a step-stool to get her Cheerios in the morning or put her hair up into a ponytail. She does it all by herself. And somewhere along the line, she taught herself how to get up on her own in the mornings -- I no longer sneak into her room and rub her face until she starts to giggle. She's developed all of these amazing relationships with her peers and her own personality at the same time.

She's outgoing and yet can be reserved. She can be timid and out of control. She's incredibly kind-hearted and has such a soft soul. She lights up a room just by walking into it. And her smile could melt concrete like some form of Superhero kryptonite.

There is no way God could have given me a better kid in her. She is laid back and eager to please. She sets an incredible example for her younger brothers and sister (most of the time). =) She helps out when it's not expected and tries her absolute hardest when it IS expected.

I tell Chris all the time about my excitement watching our kids grow up. What will they become in their adult lives? What profession will they get into? What dreams will they follow?

I'm sure I'll blink my eyes and I'll be sitting at their college graduation ceremony. Time seems to go that fast some days. Against my will and all.

Happy birthday sweet girl.

1 comment:

Angelia Harrington said...

I love this kid. Inside and out. This post makes me want to cry but only because we have this "teenage" thing in common and I just can't seem to find the pause button.