Monday, August 31, 2009

When Facebook brings you clients.....who are long lost friends...

I sat down at my computer one afternoon, logged on to my Facebook, not really expecting to find much. It was raining buckets that day and I was bored out of my mind. The internet always seems to subside the boredom...

You know, I've always said that the Facebook's and the Myspace's are pretty awesome at putting you back in touch with people you lost contact with over the years. That's how I re-met my Mr. Wonderful after 17 years, reconnected with my old high school band director who was a pretty big influence in my life, and Lord knows how many other friends that I lost contact with when Life happened.

I never would have thought that I would gain clients out of it. But it just kinda happened that way.

So....back to the boring day.....I logged into Facebook and had a new friend request from someone with a name I didn't recognize. (Which, let's be real for a second, has happened to me far too many times. You see the name right in front of you but you have NO CLUE what face it belongs to.) So, I was puzzled. I racked my brain for a few minutes and decided to click on the name -- just so I could see a larger picture.

About 12 seconds later, I squealed. OMG! Are you kidding me!?!??! Where has she been? Where is she??? What is she doing?

The picture belonged to one of my best friends from 8th grade on. We did almost everything together....we played basketball together and went to dances. We walked to school together and wrote notes to one another. We told secrets about our bad-kissing boyfriends to each other.

We even had really bad perms and mall bangs together.


Oh yes. That's Staci on the left and me on the right....well before flat irons, tweezers, and suntan lotion. I was so gangly and un-coordinated -- a rubberband had more finesse than I did at that age. So much so that this was the only year that I played basketball. Ok.....attempted to play basketball.

That was 1991. A loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong ago 1991.

Now she's a wife to a pretty lucky guy and a mom of two beautiful children who have her eyes.

And me? I was the lucky photographer who got to take their picture.



Our shoot lasted for a little longer than 2 hours and it flew by like it was only 10 minutes. We chatted about kids, about life, and what happened after high school. We walked around that park like we were back in our hometown walking down Ludlow Street laughing at some of the things we did, the boys we chased, and the memories etched in our brains.

1 comment:

Jill Kirker- Thompson said...

OMG I LOVE the basketball picture and the bangs.....