Monday, June 22, 2009

His Day

If you were to ask me what a typical day is like in our house with our little Half Dozen, the first thing I would tell you is "chaos". Mad chaos. Sometimes we try to organize it, but other times it's just flat outta control.

Then, I'd tell you how much love we have trapped in the 4 walls of our 2-story brick house. I would tell you about our red-headed-freckled son that has an uncanny resemblance to the Cookie Monster when he eats. I would tell you about our 11-year-old daughter who we believe secretly has a Sports Agent for her softball career. Then I'd tell you about our girly-girl who usually has her nose shoved in the binding of a book, reading to her baby, Molly. And I'd tell you about our super-star quarterback 10-year-old with a laser rocket arm. I'd tell you about how the 4 of them run thru our house like excited dogs searching for an open door. I'd tell you how loud it gets in our house from the laughter -- typically following one of the boys, or Taylor, farting. I'd tell you how we sit down to eat dinner together nearly every night and how my most favorite part of the day is when we tuck them in and get hugs and kisses..... x 4.

But then I'd tell you about the man that holds everything together. I'd tell you about how he works endless hours some days to make sure our house runs like a well oiled machine. I'd tell you about how he spends his "day off" doing way more housework than he should, without ever complaining, to make sure we can have quality Half Dozen Time when I get home from work. I'd explain that my passion for photography would never be pursued without the love and support from my best friend....even if it means he has to bear a bigger load for the next 2 months. I'd tell you about a man that gives his unbiased, genuine advice that nearly always follows the rule of "doing the right thing". I'd tell you how my heart warms to see Harley snuggled in his lap asleep. Or how I fill with pride to hear him and Brenden talk football at the dinner table. Or how adorable he is when Bryce is following him around the house wanting to help him with any chore he might be doing, like his very own personal assistant. And of course there's how he gets all sweaty passing the softball (or football these days) with Taylor in the backyard....then proceeds to give me a big 'ol (very sweaty!) bear hug.

I would tell you how he chuckles at me for leaving the closet light on. Every. Single. Day. I'd tell you how he has stood by me thru some of the darkest days of my life and how he's influenced me to be an amazing person. I would tell you how he loves my freckles and kissing me on the nose. I'd tell you how he tries to prevent me from burning myself when I cook dinner, and cleans up after me while I cook. I'd tell you how my days are sweeter and colors are brighter because of his smile. I'd tell you how I still get butterflies when his name pops up on my phone.

Sunday was his day. His day to be taken to breakfast, sit in the A/C, and be catered to all day long -- even if he did have to mow the grass. And that's exactly what we did. Because nothing says "we love you" and "thanks dad" like a glass of sweet tea and burgers on the grill. Which seems so inadequate for what he gives to all of us every other day of the year.


4 comments:

Jennifer A Collier Photography said...

Not only do your pictures bring a smile to my face. But your simple blogs about the love that you have for your family warms my heart!

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how happy I am for you that you've found all of what you just explained. You deserve every ounce of it!

Ericka said...

You girls are so sweet...Thank you.

Ashley Hutchison said...

This is the sweetest thing I have ever read...and the pic is amazing too!! You are talented beyond words!!

Cant wait to actually get mt crazy brood together and come out to the US to meet the man! Am sure it will be complete and utter perfect chaos!

Love Ya xx